You said,
>From: hickst@puzzler.nichols.com (Tina Hicks)>
>Do any of you give some bute the night after a ride or the next morning? I
am basically a minimalist when it comes to stuff for the horse - the less
tack, boots, supplements, "junk" etc. I don't have to use, the better, IMO.>
>I mean, *I* take aspirin after a ride - is it considered taboo to offer the
horse the same thing?>

Not sure about rules, but there is a problem with sensitive stomachs
to aspirin or horse stomachs to bute! Depending on the dose, and even
more, the individual, and the amount of stress, either can cause ulcers. Be
careful. Your minimalist tendencies should extend to yourself, I think. Do
you take it for normal post-ride bodyaches? A vet told me once that animal
stomachs are more sensitive than human stomachs to these
anti-inflammatories. Ulcers caused by these drugs and others have been
documented in dogs and horses. Watch your horse for symptoms, then
consult a vet, first, before beginning any medication regimen. Besides, bute
after every competition could be expensive, but time off, treatment, and
worry after the diagnosis of an ulcer would be many times that. Take care
of yourself & your buddy.:)
Bridget Brickson@sbphrd.com