ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: endurance saddles

[endurance] Re: endurance saddles

Sullys Maze (Sully@forsythe.stanford.edu)
Wed, 6 Mar 96 16:39:08 PST

To: endurance@moscow.com
From: Rgarlitz@txranger.com (Roger Garlitz)
Subject: Re: [endurance] Re: endurance saddle shopping
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 11:52:18 +0000
Sender: owner-endurance@moscow.com

Roger writes:

If you talk Nancy Loving, Donna Snyder Smith or any experienced rider they
will tell you that the way a horse carries them selves has a lot to do with
sore backs.

When the horse raises their head( I'm talking what people call high headed)
the back is not in a good physical position for movement. Its the same as a
runner having very poor mechanics.

Many people blame sore backs on their saddle without looking at the way
their horse carries a load. You must evaluate both in solving back
problems. This also equates to sore front legs. The higher the head the
more straight up the shoulder angle becomes, the more pounding the front
end takes as it contacts the ground.

No saddle in the world can overcome a hollowed out back. You must examine
the whole outfit, you, your saddle, your horse, and the way all the pieces
interact. If you ride off balance, if the hoorse goes crooked, or high
headed, or pulls with their front end, poor fitting saddle , dirty blanket
cinch to tight, to loose, all of these things add up to make the package,
so look at them all!

Flexable panels are wonderfull, but with all things there is a limit to how
many other issues they can compensate for. The best running shoe in the
world can't compensate for poor running body position., again its a package
look at it all.

Roger, I also agree with this also. I understand that how a horse
carries himself can affect back soreness, lameness, etc.

I guess I point I was trying to make, is that
1) you don't have the -usual- problems of fit with the Sport
Saddle that you do with rigid tree saddles. When the back changes
shape the saddle changes with it.

2) If I ride 3 or 4 years without doing anything to try to
influence my horse to go in a particular frame or what I think
is balanced, and if my horse has no problems with back soreness,
or any lameness, then my conclusion is to not try to mess with
how the horse carries herself. My one mare is really high-headed,
when she does drop her head, which I always give her rein to do,
I can really feel the back come up in that saddle.

3) Probably very few horses or runners move totally straight.
I look extremely awkward when I run; one knee and foot point
out. Yet, if I struggle along not caring about my form, I
have no problems. If I try to run "correctly" then I pull
muscles. We all have heard of mature horses with perhaps feet
that toe in or out. Some farrier decides to see if he can shoe
the horse to go straight, and soon you have a lame horse.

Again, I understand what you are saying and also understand how
balance exercises and dressage has helped a lot of endurance
riders and horses. On the other hand, not all high-headed
horses are going to have problems.

Karen\

"Endeavor to Persevere" , Roger Garlitz
Cowboy Country http://www.txranger.com