ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: Swollen Hock

[endurance] Re: Swollen Hock

Nancy Welborn (nancyw@bendnet.com)
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 19:18:24 -0800

Linda wrote:
>Subject: [endurance] Swollen Hock
>
> Something to ponder...
>
> I went out last night to visit Jake (8 year old Polish Arab, 15.3
> hands, no fat) and his left hock is moderately swollen with some edema
> extending into the cannon. There is little heat, no pain response to
> manipulation, no apparent wound, absolutely no lameness at the walk,
> trot or canter.
>
> He was being ridden lightly until I hurt my back (Feb 27) and hasn't
> been ridden since. But he's a pasture horse with access to 3-4 acres
> of green pasture. Has anybody seen this with their horses.
>
> Thank you
> Linda-Catherine and Magic Jake
> LLayman@NeoRx.com

Yes, I have experienced something similar: I have an 18 yr. old Arab mare,
15.2, (have to almost force feed her to see any fat). It seems whenever we
have rain / snow and the ground gets soft and mucky, she ends up with edema
around the pastern area in the rear. No sign of lameness, pain, or heat.

The first time I applied DMSO with feracin (sp?) and wrapped it, kept her
quiet and it gradually diminished.

However, since she showed no symptoms, when it happened again (about 3 times
now), I have exercised her normally and it goes away within a day.
Any ideas / advice anyone?