ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Save No Hands Bridge

Re: [endurance] Save No Hands Bridge

Natalie Arnold & Richard Goodwin (trailride@foothill.net)
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 08:06:36 -0800

>Hummmm well this came out as garble.

>I wasn't aware No-hands bridge was being demoed. I'm just assuming this
>from the subject line. If so that's terrible. Tell us more!

>On 4 Mar 1996, Lawrence A. Suddjian wrote:

> yWPC$/nG

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tommy Crockett~Los Osos, California USA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Larry (ride manager for the Tevis Cup) is generally much more
articulate than that. ;-)

What has happened is, the CA State Dept. of Parks (who administers the
American Canyon area on behalf of the Feds) took a close look at the
center support for this 84-year-old narrow gage rail poured-cement
tressle and declared it unsafe. The decision was made very suddenly
and access was sealed off within a few days. Being that No Hands is on
the final leg of the Tevis ride and provides the final crossing of the
American river canyon, its loss to the ride and to trail users in the
Auburn area in general is severe.

The nearby Highway 49 bridge would serve except that after crossing
there is no way to get back to the trail from the roadway. The only
other option is to route the ride through the town of Cool and then
down to the "cofferdam" that crosses where the first attempt was made
to build an Auburn Dam about 10 years ago. (Frankly, my dear, I dont
WANT a dam!)

It's a messy problem. We all hope that some way can be found to shore
up No Hands and re-open it. Of course, if some people have their way
and the Auburn Dam IS built, No Hands will be under about 500 feet of
water and the whole issue will be moot. Stay tuned...

_ ,--/ trailride@foothill.net is the address of
<_ __/ /\| Natalie's "Barn & Breakfast" in Weimar, CA.
( )__, ) ~ A B&B for horses (and their riders)
// '--; in the heart of Tevis Country. (916) 637-4644