ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Neat stuff??

Re: [endurance] Neat stuff??

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Thu, 01 Feb 1996 10:15:13 -0500 (EST)

You wrote:
> - Does anyone use the sheepskind stirrup leather covers? what do you think?
> It looks like they would be comfortable - when I get really fatigued and am
> not so careful about my leg position, I sometimes get a rub from the
> leather on the inside of my lower leg - would those help that?
>
> - Is there any differences between the different biothane tack? SportTack
> carries one, The Australian Tack Connection another, and I've seen it under
> 2 or 3 other names - isn't is all pretty much the same stuff?? The pricing
> is very comparable. Any thoughts??

I have never tried the leather's sheepskin covers, but I have to be
seriously convinced that they fit EXTREMELY well. If they didn't, I
am afraid that they would twist & bunch up over time and miles of
use. Let me know what you find out, please.

As for the Biothane tack -

There are really 2 bioplastics out there - Biothane & Oputhane.
Oputhane does not hold up as well. It is nylon webbing coated w/ a
plastic. Biothane is nylon webbing impregnated w/ plastic &
extruded. This means the Oputhane will delaminate (peel apart) over
time. The Biothane holds up much better.

Aside from the materials, look at the workmanship of each
manufacturer! If they cannot sew a straight line, shive the edges,
and present a neat finished product, I wouldn't want it! Flat colors
(flat black, brown, white) do not hold up as well - too much carbon
in the base material. DO NOT get plain bioplastic reins. When wet,
THEY SLIP!!! (Even w/ gloves on.) The reins should have some sort
of webbing or rubber grips on them where you would grip.

Be aware that Biothane does NOT BREAK easily. A friend's horse caught
her bridle on a chain link fence & took the fence several
miles before he stopped. The bridle never gave way. Also, my vet treated
a horse (and ultimately euthanized it) for a broken jaw. The horse
stepped on the reins, jerked up his head, and CRACK! The Biothane
never gave. GET SAFETY HOOKS FOR THE BIT ATTACHMENT that
will not hook onto other things accidently!

My business also sells Biothane tack with the safety features above,
most of which were designed by my business partner & engineer (my
husband, too!:) If you would be interested in a catalog, or more
info, let me know.

Linda Flemmer - Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies. (You may have seen us
@ the ROC several years ago as one of the team sponsors.)
Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"