ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Neat stuff??

Re: [endurance] Neat stuff??

Dominique Freeman (fadjurs@sadandy.hpl.hp.com)
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 07:47:34 -0700 (PST)

hickst@puzzler.nichols.com (Tina Hicks) wrote:

> - Is there any differences between the different biothane tack? SportTack
> carries one, The Australian Tack Connection another, and I've seen it under
> 2 or 3 other names - isn't is all pretty much the same stuff?? The pricing
> is very comparable. Any thoughts??
>
> Thanks for the shopping help!!!!
>
> Tina, hickst@nichols.com

Ahh, well, a chance to get a plug in, irresistable!! Of course I would say
that there is a wide range of differences in BioThane tack, and pricing
is really no indication of fit or functionality. The three areas you want to
be concerned with are:
1. Fit
2. Manufacture
3. After sales support

Go-the-Distance (formerly Eagle Tack) has been sewing Bioplastic Tack since
1986, we were the first, and hence probably have the most experience with the
Polyurethance covered belting. There are sevral varieties of "synthetic tack"
ranging from BioThane (made exclusively from Bioplastics), Oputhane, and poly.
The relative merits of each can be debated ad nauseum, but time and usage have
dictated that extrusion products using non-lot nylon (oputhane) cannot withstand
the rigours of the trail in terms of delamination and uv stability. Hence we made
the choice to sew only BioThane (or under duress Oputhane only as trim!).

Fit: There ar a wide variety of horses competitng in trail and endurance. Fit is
extremely importasnt, and hence our styles are guaranteed to fit horses from
800 - 1250 lbs as is. This goes for any of our seven styles of trail bridles
(Halter/Headstall, Headstall/halters) and breastcollars. Provided the equipment is
fit correctly, we also guarantee no rubbing or chafing. You *do* *not* (except in
very rare cases) require fleece or neoprene to get these items to fit (another topic,
but we can talk moisture + heat + abrasion = rub some other time)

Manufacture:
Look for:
All holes cut edges to be heat sealed, prevents water or moisture uptake. All threads
cut and burned
6 - 8 stitches per inch
Solid box-like or hourglass stitching
Colored thread available
Wide variety of color, and color combinations available
All edges are cut or "nipped", and turned away from the horse
All brass or bronze hardware. Make sure the size of the hardware fits the width
of the belting e.g. 5/8 " Biothane has 5/8" hardware. This means more inventory
but the fit is then correct. Also proper hardware should be used for each application.
For example bit snaps can be #56 or bolt snaps, not slap snaps etc.
Adjustability of the bit should be independant of the noseband, there should
be adjustability in the cheek, chin and crown.

After sales support:
As the manufacturer (and the reason we do not sew wholesale) we can really support
the client directly. Most of you will have need to replace worn equipment such
as rein grips, and snaps. Additionally, there are the usual pull backs and spooks
that will break snaps. These will need to be replaced. There are specific break
points in well designed bridles since the belting has a 1000 lbs per square inch
breaking stress, you will want to have something let go if only to avoid your horse
getting hung up. All of our bridles can be broken down into modular parts that
can be repaired without the need to send the whole thing through the mail.

My point is that quality of manufature varies considerably for the same price. Your
best bet is to go to AERC convention and really check it out, or talk to riders
who use the stuff. For Go-the-Distance equipment, fell free to talk to:
Becky Hart, Valery Kanavy, Stagg and Cheryl Newman, Donna Snyder-Smith, Bob Walz,
Steph Teeter, Susie Morril, Pacific North Gold Team (North American Championships, 1995)
Courtney Hart, and a host of others! I feel a little disappointed that you referred to
us as 2 or 3 other names, but then BioThane is all we do, and we dont carry it as
part of a wide range of inventory, rather as our main item.
There are sevral articles about the stuff, one of the easiest to get hold of was
written by Genie Stewart Spears in Western Horseman, May 1992 called "Tack
that goes the distance". I also have opies of articles writtent in Equus etc if anyone
is interested on the origin and uses of synthetic tack (including saddles)

Hope this helps,

Dom (a.k.a. Go-the-Distance "No Care Tack")

Dominique Freeman | "Life is short, science is long" |
fadjurs@sadandy.hpl.hp.com | |
Hewlett Packard Laboratories, | |
Palo Alto, CA USA | |
Phone: (415) 857-8596 | |