ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Re[2]: [endurance] heart rates & quilty

Re: Re[2]: [endurance] heart rates & quilty

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 10:30:39 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995 llayman@Imail.NeoRx.com wrote:

> I'm still new to this (I'm about 2 weeks old now). Could somebody
> explain "60 with no inversion" and "16 per quarter minute was pretty
> standard in my region. I think 15 is a better idea".
>
> I feel a bit lost.
>
> Linda-Catherine

Inversion is respiration rate greater then heart rate. Used to be most
ride vets would set a specific respiration rate, but generally most
rides now just ask for no inversion. The second line just refers really
to the method of measuring. Rather then counting each beat for 60 full
seconds pulse is taken by just counting the beats in 15 seconds. Thus 16
beats per quarter minute would translate to a pulse rate of 64. BTW most
ride vets will give some variance on respiration, but not on heart rate.
For instance, I have a horse who's a known "panter." It's habit rather
then metabolic.

So often I'll come into a vetcheck late in the ride with a heartrate way
below criteria. Like at Sunland the last vetcheck he was at 12 coming in
and dropped quickly to 10-11, but played like the dickens to get his
respiration below his heartrate. His hair was long, it was hot and Dr.
Connerally knew him to be a panter so they just waived the inversion rule
for him. But made me drench him (exteriorly) pretty good and watched him
drink before he did so. Fire Mtn. I'll clip him and blanket him the rest
of the season and he'll not have a problem. His P&R will be about the same
regardless of panting.

Hope this helped!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tommy Crockett~Los Osos, California USA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~tomydore@goblin.punk.net~~DAMS028%CALPOLY.BITNET@cmsa.berkeley.edu~