ridecamp@endurance.net: Re[4]: [endurance] loops?

Re[4]: [endurance] loops?

Dominique Freeman (fadjurs@sadandy.hpl.hp.com)
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 13:24:49 -0600 (PDT)

Samm C Bartee <bartesc@mail.auburn.edu> wrote:
> Here in the southeast, we have a sanctioning rule
> that says you cannot sanction two rides within 300 miles of each other on
> the same weekend. I do not know if it is that way everywhere--can anyone
> answer that?--so if we decide not to go to a ride on a weekend, we sit at
> home-or something to that effect. Besides, there are professional
> whiners at every ride. You know the ones, they show up a ride just to
> complain. Any I think that some of the later posts were the ones that
> were a bit on the complaining side. Just my opinion...
>
> APPY TRAILS
>
> SAMM C. BARTEE

Sam,
The rule in the west region is that no ride will be sanctioned within
150 mile radius on the same weekend. There is no rule about rides on
consecutive weekends, and really there shouldn't be. The only rub comes
when you have only one horse,and two good rides are one after the other.
There are alot of rides and it is difficult (in this area) to pick a ride
with a clear weekend either before or after, on the other hand there are
some really bare spots on the schedule notably the month of July and
the end of August. Those people conditioning for Tevis appreciate a 50
miler (with good terrain, and heat) 3 to 4 weeks prior as a conditioning
ride. The downside is that temperatures can reach over 100 (but so can they
at Tevis) and hence a little more arduous than say in June or September (for
horses, riders, and support staff). What to do? I have tried both, and I think
for next year, I will move the ride back to July, and tout the ride as a
conditioning ride for Tevis ;^)

Dom

Dominique Freeman | "Life is short, science is long" |
fadjurs@sadandy.hpl.hp.com | |
Hewlett Packard Laboratories, | |
Palo Alto, CA USA | |
Phone: (415) 857-8596 | |