ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance]loops into camp

Re: [endurance]loops into camp

Stacy A Berger (Stacy_A_Berger@ccm.sc.intel.com)
Fri, 13 Oct 95 14:05:00 PDT

Text item:

I would like to clarify my message - I certainly did not intend
for my comments to be inflamatory.

I was merely trying to give a ride manager some feedback as to
why there may have been a lower turnout than other rides in our
area. I don't believe that it was because of rides occuring on
dates 1-2 weeks away. Many of the the local riders in this area
compete every week, and attend multi-day rides on a regular basis.
I know of 6 riders that would have attended that ride (last weekend)
and the ride this weekend and would have gone to the ride in Sonoma in
two weeks had it not been cancelled. Some of my friends compete all
over the country and beyond.

The reputation of the ride I was referring to (whether right or wrong) is
that it is a series of 5 loops each going into camp. I was corrected that it
is in fact 3 times into camp. People in my area talk that this is a ride
to avoid because of it. Other rides come into camp once or twice, but not 5
times - AS I WAS CORRECTED, THIS IS NOT THE CASE. Maybe this could be
clarified in the ride entry to dispel this perception.

It is MENTALLY difficult for a horse to come into camp multiple times. I
*my opinion* believe that 5 loops into camp is MENTALLY cruel when it also
covers 50 miles. I guess it is a true test of endurance - it would test both
mental and physical endurance. Personally, I have no interest in testing
my horse in this manner.

Stacy

Text item: External Message Header