ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: [endurance] Night Riding Red Light?

RE: [endurance] Night Riding Red Light?

Gwen Dluehosh (dluehosh@vt.edu)
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 11:08:43 -0500 (EST)

As an amateur astronomer, I can vouch for the values of a red light. In
fact, if one for endurance gets made, I would be first in line to buy it. I
like riding in the dark, and can see pretty well, but I bet a red light
WOULD be better to see by--has anyone tried it?
I was always also told that it takes a good 45 minutes for eyes to
COMPLETELY adjust to dark, and this is definitely true in the case of
astronomy. We were always also taught to avert our eyes to see something
more clearly, so that an image we were trying hard to look at was on our
most dense collection of rods/cones in the retina. It works for nebulae and
dim galaxies. I always hated it when my visionwas at its best and then down
the road a car comes with brights on. GRUMBLE. Anyway, these techniques
could be used to visualize things in the dark such as trees. Try it some
dark night.
Gwen

Eugenie Oogie McGuire <oogiem@dsrtweyr.com> writes:
> I've been reading the pros and cons of riding with lights and I was
> wondering. Has anyone tried using red light? That way your night vision
> is not affected but there is more light to see by. That or the relatively
> inexpensive night vision goggles available at price club might be
> options. I know I am terribly night blind and trust in my horse or not I
> would feel a whole lot safer with a some light when riding.
| Gwen Dluehosh "Pretty enough to show, |
| Desert Storm Arabians (| |)_____ tough enough |
| 2249 Mt. Tabor Rd / \ \__=___ to RIDE." |
| Blacksburg, VA 24060 (= + =) \___=___ |
| 540/953-1792 \ + / \__=____ |
| dluehosh@vt.edu | + | \____=___ |
| Endurance/racing ()+() \ _______ |
| halter stock available \_/ |