ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Re: First 50

Re: [endurance] Re: First 50

Joe Long (jlong@HiWAAY.net)
Mon, 9 Oct 1995 20:12:47 -500

> From: prevatt@lds.loral.com (Truman Prevatt)

> There are a lot of riders who are moving away from the long trot as the
> standard gait. A fast extended trot tends to put more stress on the legs
> that a gallop at the same speeds. Many riders are ... galloping more and
> trotting less. But of course if you don't train with the gallop do use it
> in a ride.
>
> What I have found that works for me is to pick the speed and let the horse
> pick the gait.

I want to say that I agree 100%. Too many people think that a trot
is always less tiring than a canter -- tain't necessarily so. At
some speeds, yes, but as the horse's speed increases you come to a
pont where the horse will use less energy (and have less stress on
the joints, ligaments and tendons) at a canter than at a trot. This
speed is different for different horses, and for the same horse at
different degrees of fitness or tiredness.

A relaxed canter is better than a strained trot. The rider chooses
the speed, the horse knows which gait feels better for him.

Kahlil spent many, many miles cantering beside horses that were
trotting, and outlasted them.

--

Joe Long Rainbow Connection Arabians PC/LAN Manager home of Kahlil Khai Calhoun Community College AERC Hall of Fame horse jlong@hiwaay.net 11,475 miles completed