ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Mud fever aka rainrot

Re: [endurance] Mud fever aka rainrot

Linda Cowles @ PCB x5624 (linda_cowles@MENTORG.COM)
Mon, 9 Oct 95 14:58:39 -0700

On Oct 9, 2:09pm, Eugenie (Oogie) McGuire wrote:
> Subject: Re: [endurance] Mud fever aka rainrot
> >Years ago, I gradually started adding vinegar to Shatirrs bran mash
> >as a fly repellant, working up to 1/4 cup every other day. Two weeks
> That's the wierdest thing I've ever heard. Are you sure it was the
> vinegar and not the pad? I know I've had problems with the detergent in
> pads causing problems. FWIW I feed up to a half a cup of vinegar daily to
> all of our horses and have never had a problem withem breaking out like that.
>
> Oogie McGuire - oogiem@dsrtweyr.com

Yep, it was the vinegar! He didn't loose just the skin on his back, he lost
it on his poll, between his legs, on his neck, at the base of his ears -
wherever he sweat. I've had him for 8 years now, and it hasn't happened since.

The pad was clean, washed in plain water. It's a straight wool pad. As a
matter of fact, I still have and use the pad, in a pinch.

Linda