ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Limited distance vs CTR ?

Re: [endurance] Limited distance vs CTR ?

Stephanie Teeter (step@sunfish.fsr.com)
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 10:06:29 -0700

> On Fri, 01 Sep 1995 10:10:09 -0500 (EST) TETERVIN@bms.com wrote:
>> ANOTHER query from the neophyte- concerning the discussion of
>> 25
> mile rides- I
>> realize that there are some differences between the way
>> competitive trail rides and endurance races are judged, but
>> what is the difference
> between a 25
>> miles endurance race that is won based on HR etc vs a
>> competitive trail
> ride
>> which is also won based on the condition of the horse and
>> optimal
> speed.Why
>> not just go in competitve trail rides ? -Amy

> An excellent question, Amy, and one that I put privately to the
> organizers of the ride that awarded placings based on vet
> scores. I didn't get an answer yet, but I look forward to their
> response. I see very little difference in their method and
> CTRs, and think that a better system might be a compromise where
> vet scores counted for say 80%, time 10% and weight 10% (just an
> example). The point being that if they are trying to introduce
> new riders to endurance, it should at least resemble the longer
> distance method!

> Brenda Edmonton, Alberta

We used the standard bc form which is vetscore 500 pts, time 200 pts
(fastest time gets the whole 200) and weight (heaviest rider gets
the whole 200).

Steph

..I'm still trying to decide if this is the best method. Part of me
rebels against the subjectivity of the vet score.