ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: race etiquette

Re: race etiquette

F_SCHERERTA@TITAN.SFASU.EDU
Thu, 10 Aug 1995 16:24:41 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 10 Aug 1995 rsantana@rsantana.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu wrote:

> What a great subject for controversy!
> First of all I think general trail etiquette needs to be followed a
> little more closely on endurance rides. 15 year ago when I first started
> riding endurance it was common practice to call out to rideres ahead
> that you wanted to pass. Now I am frequently blasted off the trail by
> people hurrying by without a word from them. "TRAIL PLEASE" the commonly
> used phrase.

I still call out to people "passing on right or passing on left", that is
how I was taught and that is how I taught my husband and children. Maybe
ride managers should go over this with the new people and even the old
people who forget that it is still suppose to be fun even though it is a
competition. I have had people blast right by me on a small skinny trail
and my horse supports a large red bandanna on her tail. When I see
someone comming by I get off the trail as much as possible and turn her
head towards the trail. She does not kick but she did once and I don't
want to take a chance of another horse or rider getting hurt so I do take
a lot of precautions.