ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Suburban for Towing?

Re: Suburban for Towing?

Linda Cowles @ PCB x5624 (linda_cowles@MENTORG.COM)
Tue, 25 Jul 95 09:20:17 -0700

I used a 89' Chevy 1500 (1/2 ton) pickup (350 engine) for towing my Logan
2 horse slant, and almost ruined the truck because 1) the radiator wasn't
adequate for towing up hills and 2) the gear ratio wasn't low enough to
help the engine out. I had a tranny cooler installed and was careful, but
finally sold it and got a Dodge 1 ton diesel (Cunnims :-).

I loved this truck, and it pulled great on the flat. But hills? It went
like hell, but overheated. I even looked into a custom radiator, but
there wasn't room in the engine compartment.

I've heard that the 3/4 ton Chevy's pull great. I've got a friend that has
a diesel one though, and it's a lemon... always in the shop. I don't know
if they are all that way, or if she's just unlucky.

My Chevy was starting to have minor things go wrong at 80k miles, but aside
from problems brought on by overheating, it was a good truck.

I sold it for $9500.00 with a camper shell, hitch and carpet kit. It was in
good condition, oil changes every 4k miles and all of the service records
went with it. The price sounds ok on the Suburban, but I'd go for a 3/4 ton.