ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: [Kathy.Myers@SYNTEX.COM: Re: Adequan]

RE: [Kathy.Myers@SYNTEX.COM: Re: Adequan]

Truman Prevatt (prevatt@lds.loral.com)
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:15:16 -0400

I have heard and read in more than one place, that controlled testing
tracing tagged compounds showed that Flex Free was not absorbed by the
horses gut and pass right on through - therefore would not provide any
benefit except to the bank account of the maker. Can any of our vet
friends shine any light on this?

Truman

---- Original Post ----

>Please Kathy... Dr. Dowling did not claim Flex Free does not work, but she
>only brought up the point that the manufactures of the feed additives of this
>type do not have to prove the efficacy of there product via accepted
>scientific method, and in most cases they avoid true scientific trials. For
>this reason alone there should be a question raised as to the efficacy of
>these compounds.
>In Rascals case I'm happy to hear he is doing better, but from your
>discription of his recovery how are you able to determine if it was the
>injection of hyaluronic acid or the Flex Free? Where they not both
>administered at the same time?
>
>Greg Meyer
>College of Vet Med
>Mississippi State University
>From: Stephanie Teeter on Mon, Jul 24, 1995 7:32 PM
>Subject: [Kathy.Myers@SYNTEX.COM: Re: Adequan]
>To: endurance@moscow.com
>
>---------------------------------
>From: Kathy Myers x3004 <Kathy.Myers@SYNTEX.COM>
>Subject: Re: Adequan
>*****
>Steph: Please post this reply for me. I can't stand
>keeping quiet!
>
>Thanks! :) - kat
>******
>
>[snip!]
>>As a pharmacologist, I am far more skeptical about the oral
>
>>polysulfated gylcosaminoglycan products (Cosequin, Flex
>>Free). These are not drugs - they call them
>>"nutriceuticals". They are feed additives, therefore they
>>don't have to meet any kind of scientific testing for
>>efficacy. If you look at their literature, they only claim
>>that they provide the "building blocks" needed to repair
>>damaged joints - but no proof that they actually ever reach
>
>>the joints (on the other hand, they've radioactively
>labeled
>> Adequan and demonstrated its uptake into joint cartilage).
>
>>Some people feed them and feel like their horse improves -
>>but that it very difficult to prove scientifically. They
>>certainly are not harmful, so if someone wants to spend
>>their money, I don't discourage them.
>>
>>If you think it's expensive in the States - these products
>>are about 5 times more expensive in Canada!
>>
>>Trisha Dowling, DVM, MS
>>Diplomat ACVIM, ACVCP
>>Associate Professor of Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology
>>Western College of Veterinary Medicine
>>Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
>
>Look, people... Flex Free WORKS! At least on my
>horse. It's worth a try for your joint problems. It runs
>about $20.00 US a month per horse.
>
>For those of you who have not heard the Rascal
>Story, here it is again. Last November my old
>guy (Rascal) was dead lame at the walk. I called
>out the vet who has known this horse for over 11
>years. He just has arthritis. We ran blood tests
>a couple weeks ago... he MAY also have Lupis.
>ANYWAYS, he got an IV injection of (sp???)
>"haluronic acid" which is kind of like Adequan.
> [...]

The race is not always to the swift, but to those that keep running.

Truman and Mystic "The Horse from HELL" Storm

prevatt@lds.loral.com - Sarasota, Florida
__