ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Trailering long distances

Re: Trailering long distances

WarholNW@ccmail.apldbio.com
Mon, 17 Jul 95 08:51:52 PDT

Your timing is great- we just returned from our first really long
trailer ride. We took our horse from the Bay Area to Southern Utah.
It was about 1000 miles each way. we did about 500 miles a day, and
stopped at local fairgrounds at Austin and Winnemuca, Nevada. They
were happy to have us camp there. We make sure he gets out of the
trailer for 15 minutes of walking every 4 hours of trailering. We
also were able to rig up a small water bucket in his feed manger so he
can drink when he wants. The weather was not to hot, and our trailer
is well vented As long as we are moving. (Logan Champion)

I make sure I use lots of shavings in the trailer, and clean out the
gunk every time we stop. That has to make it much more enjoyable in
there. We let him eat his normal amount of hay in the trailer, which
he gladly does. He did not appear to be noticeably dehydrated at the
end of the trip, but he did loose some weight.

One thing I learned is to stick to the flatter highways. On the way
to Utah, we took highway 50, right across the middle of Nevada. Nice
road, but it is nothing but serious mountain passes that go straight
up and down. SLOW, SLOW, SLOW! We took Interstate 80 back, and what
a difference that made. Much faster, better gas mileage and a whole
lot less stressful.

One word of advice- make sure your horse likes to load and unload
without problems. Our horse is very good, and travels great. It
would be a real downer to spend a few hours on the side of a lonely
highway with a horse who would not get back in.

Nick