ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [76031.2347@compuserve.com: Vesicular Stomatitis]

Re: [76031.2347@compuserve.com: Vesicular Stomatitis]

Mark A. Thayer (mathayer@cs.unm.edu)
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 18:48:02 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 10 Jul 1995 linda_cowles@MENTORG.COM wrote:

> FYI
>
> I heard through the grapevine that California is really concerned about this
> spreading in the state, and (I heard this 3rd hand, mind you) that they will
> destroy horses having the disease.

I think it would be safe to consider this a rumor, if only because
such a policy would be an overreaction in the extreme.

So far, here in NM, I haven't heard of any horse fatalities from
the disease. It seems to be confined largely to the Rio Grande
valley (where the mosquitos tend to hang out).

But at our barn, we're learning that it is *easy* to become
paranoid.

On the bright side, we have learned that there is a vaccine.
Unfortunately, by the time the manufacturers can produce enough,
the disease will have run its course. But it's good news for next
year, in case it pops up again.

It's just a big nuisance, but this too shall pass.

Best regards,

Mark Thayer
Albuquerque, NM