ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: NATRC vs. Endurance

Re: NATRC vs. Endurance

Karen Steenhof (ksteenho@eagle.idbsu.edu)
06 Jul 1995 10:58:53 -0600

In <v01510101ac21a9851714@[158.186.226.151]>, Truman Prevatt wrote:
there is another option. That is limited distance rides. A
>limited distance ride is a 25 to 35 mile ride run in conjuction with an
>endurance ride (an endurance ride is 50 miles or more). The limited
>distance ride as a maximum time defined by 4 1/6 mph, (e.g. six hours for a
>25). This speed is actually less stressful on the horse than the 6 mph pace
>set by SEDRA. Their purpose is introduction of new riders and horses to
>the sport.

Unfortunately, limited distance rides in the Northwest region tend to
be flat-out races. The 25-mile rides are frequently won in 2 hours or
less. In my opinion, this does not benefit new riders or new horses.
But ride managers continue to encourage this short distance
racing by presenting wonderful awards to the winners. Lots of people
get caught up in this short-term glory, but few of their horses last
many years.

karen steenhof
Boise, Idaho