ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: NATRC vs. Endurance

Re: NATRC vs. Endurance

linda@linda.jf.intel.com
Thu, 6 Jul 95 08:40 PST

Truman Prevatt wrote:
>I think that there are several factors that play in the choice of NATRC vs.
>Endurance and there is another option. That is limited distance rides. A
>limited distance ride is a 25 to 35 mile ride run in conjuction with an
>endurance ride (an endurance ride is 50 miles or more). The limited
>distance ride as a maximum time defined by 4 1/6 mph, (e.g. six hours for a
>25). This speed is actually less stressful on the horse than the 6 mph pace
>set by SEDRA. Their purpose is introduction of new riders and horses to
>the sport.

A limited distance ride in the PNW certainly is not like that. Sure, it is
suppose to introduce riders to the sport and maybe it SHOULD be at a slower
pace; i.e. 4 1/6 mph, but it is more of a RACE than a ride. The 25-milers
around here are usually run anywhere from 2-3 hours, although they are
allowed 6 hours to finish. The last 25-miler I rode in was one at 1 hr 45 min
(approx). I finished it in 2 hrs 42 mins (and I was 21st). It was at that
ride that I have decided to jump up to 50-milers - where it is more of an
endurance ride and not such a race.

,--, | Intel Corporation
_ ___/ /\| | Hillsboro, Oregon
Linda Harbin ,;`( )__, ) ~ | 503-264-2261
' \ | | linda@linda.jf.intel.com
^ ^ |

Horse lovers are stable people