ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: NATRC vs. Endurance

Re: NATRC vs. Endurance

Truman Prevatt (prevatt@lds.loral.com)
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 14:09:06 -0400

Yea, there are some pretty fast 25 run in the Southeast. I have heard of a
1 hour 40 minute ride. We also have sub 3 hour 30 minute 50's in the
Southeast. And clearly a beginner should not get caught up in that. And
one would assume (maybe worng) that a newer rider would have more sense.
One of the reasons to leave 10 to 15 minutes late is that all the "hot
dogs" are 3 miles down the trail and well out of the way so you can do your
own thing.

In the Southeast, it is pretty much the riders that demand the "wonderful
awards" for the 25. When I did my first 25 many moons ago, the placement
was based on vet score with ride time and weight factored in. This seems
like a much better way to give awards for the 25. But because of rider
demand this has changed. Southeast Endurance Riders Association (SERA) is
a regional organization consisting of the AERC Southeast region. 99% of
all Southeast region rides are SERA sanctioned. SERA has placed a
requirement on the limited distance ride. That rule is that the horse has
not finshed until it has reached a pulse of 60 and you only have 30 minutes
in which to do this. So the finish line for the limited distance is a
pulse not a when you cross the finish line. This has slowed the 25 down
somewhat but probably not enough.

BTW in FL there has been 1 horse death and several close calls in the past
7 years in 25 mile CTR's and none in limited distance rides, so speed along
is not always the critical factor. There are times here, even in the
winter when we will have 85 to 90 degrees and 90% humidity. The vet
control seems to be better and the vets more experienced at endurance rides
than CTR's. I was riding "drag" at one such CTR run under very advers
conditions and was completely appaled at the managements handling of the
problems and the lack of experience of the vet.

Truman

>In <v01510101ac21a9851714@[158.186.226.151]>, Truman Prevatt wrote:
> there is another option. That is limited distance rides. A
>>limited distance ride is a 25 to 35 mile ride run in conjuction with an
>>endurance ride (an endurance ride is 50 miles or more). The limited
>>distance ride as a maximum time defined by 4 1/6 mph, (e.g. six hours for a
>>25). This speed is actually less stressful on the horse than the 6 mph pace
>>set by SEDRA. Their purpose is introduction of new riders and horses to
>>the sport.
>>
>Unfortunately, limited distance rides in the Northwest region tend to
>be flat-out races. The 25-mile rides are frequently won in 2 hours or
>less. In my opinion, this does not benefit new riders or new horses.
>But ride managers continue to encourage this short distance
>racing by presenting wonderful awards to the winners. Lots of people
>get caught up in this short-term glory, but few of their horses last
>many years.
>
>karen steenhof
>Boise, Idaho
>.

The race is not always to the swift, but to those that keep running.

Truman and Mystic "The Horse from HELL" Storm

prevatt@lds.loral.com - Sarasota, Florida
__