From: Mike Sofen <msofen@pacbell.net>
To: RideCamp@endurance.net
Subject: [RC] Myler Bit
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 19:06:30 -0800

I can put my experience into one word:  exceptional.  First, the quality
of construction is top drawer.  Second, they allow you to choose any
combination of sizes, features and designs you want.

But most importantly, the change in the horse's way of going is
remarkable and you won't believe it until you see it.  Logically, we might
think, "A bit is a bit".  I can tell you from first hand experience, that my
high headed arab became a rounded, balanced and relaxed creature from the
very first use of the Myler bit.  I've used a range of snaffle and french
snaffle bits on this horse, all correctly sized and none worked well (they
all just worked ok).  With the MB36, I can lift a shoulder, realign a neck
and get him into a frame all at the same time (if I'm paying attention).

I'm using the MB36, described as their Forward Tilt Ported Barrel.  With
the small western "D" cheek pieces, in a 4.5" size, with copper inlays on
the bars, this model had to come from their "custom" catalog, where the bit
is actually handmade at the Myler factory and it's a thing of beauty.  The
MB36 sits on the bars of his mouth except when he needs additional cueing
then "tilts forward" onto his tongue like a snaffle.  It's for horses who
already are well-schooled in bits.

Granted, for an off-track arab, this bit isn't enough to hold him back
from racing if we want to start with the front runners at a ride.  But if we
start mid-pack, and certainly after the first loop, and for all training
rides, this bit is a gem.

Mike Sofen