From: guest@endurance.net [mailto:guest@endurance.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 1:29 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: [RC] behavior and exersice levels

Carolyn soscbk@htc.net
I resently moved my 5 year old, National Show Horse to a farm with an
indoor arena so we could prepare for a show.  (We show hunter pleaser as
well as comp. trail ride) Although I,m able to work him more regularly, he
doesn't get turned out nearly as much as he did at home.  His behavior has
gone down hill considerably sence he moved there a month ago.  He rears,
spooks, spins, bucks, and breaks gaits.  I can't count the number of times
I've hit the ground!  He acted like this a little when he was broke to
ride as a 2 year old,  but has shown constant inprovement over the last
few years,... until now.  I'm mentally and physicaly tired of the batle
for control that takes place when I try to work him.  Even on a good day
it can take 30 minutes of warm-up to get him settled enough to focus.
Everyone who has seen him compeat or show says, "don't give up on him...
Arabs mature later than other breeds... he'll be a great horse by the time
he's 7 or 8."  Are they right?  Is there anyone who has had the same
problem with their young horse?  I don't know how much more abuse my body
can take!  What can be done now to make it easier on him, and me?  I love
my horse, 85% of the time. The other 15% is usually spent on the ground
after he spooked at an invisable trail fairy. (Then I'm not to crazy about
him)  Any words of incuragement, or common sense, would be greatly
apreciated.  Signed,  "on the ground in IL"