Re: [RC] behavior and exersice levels

Regarding the 5 year old below.....here are my thoughts.....5 years old is
VERY young, for some horses.  They have a lot of energy they need to expell
before being able to focus and be manageable.  ASIDE from having necessary
turnout, at least several acres to run and play with other horses, my 5 year
old mare needed to be worked DAILY, and consistently.
This meant ponying her day one for several hours, somedays with
hills....then ride her the next day, carefully, in a place and way where I
could safely get her tired.  Then she was a lovely animal, and actually
quite relaxed and ploddy.  The third day I might do a short, slower trail
ride with another friend, then the fourth day a good hard ride.  As you can
imagine, this took a good part of my life!  But there is no way I would have
pulled that mare out of pasture; lunged or rondpenned her for a half hour,
then climbed  on in an arena!!!  I just don't ride that way.

The best thing I can think of to do with a young horse with too much energy
(like they are just jumping out of their skin), is to ride them uphill until
they have their ya ya's out and come back to their senses!  I personally
would never start or buy a  young horse unless I had a sure-fired way to
tire them out, which I can do beucase I can pony them from my other horses
until they settle down and grow a brain.

This may not be a "classical" method, but it sure is a common sense
approach. After a year and a half with this somewhat difficult Anglo/Arab; I
do have to say between my ponying her, and my daughter and I riding her (the
horse has been out on the trail, ponied or ridden at least 4 times a WEEK) I
can say she has not dumped me, not bucked or reared, no spins or really bad
spooks.

Just the approach of a middle-aged lady who does not like parting company
with a horse!
Karen