NC: An Entitlement?

OK.  Here's my philosophical question on this never ending argument about
qualifying for any sport's national championship...What makes people feel
that qualification is "an entitlement"?  Just because one is a member of
some organization doesn't bestow an automatic right for entry into a
national championship event.  The whole idea is ludicrous.  Try to visualize
this argument in any other respected equine sport!  I'm a member of the
USDF, so I should be able to take my training level, 14.2 hand Arab mare to
some national event???  Because I've faithfully paid my dues and go to my
once a week dressage lessons with my level two trainer?  Because I've
successfully enter two local shows?  This whole discussion is why so many
other equine sports enthusiasts don't take us seriously.  It's embarrassing.
  Cindy Collins, AERC #176