Re: [RC] AERC National Championship ride qualfications

Well, with no vested interest in the present situation, but considering that we will have in the future, it is still breathtakingly foolish to assume that our sport should be exempt from the very tenets that govern other and varied sports and their "play-offs, regionals and championships". No team goes to the Final Four or the World Series without having FIRST qualified by virtue of performing consistently at a given level - and in the end, for THOSE sports, it means enough success and consistency to have WON their division. So what is so terribly offensive about setting minimum requirements for inclusion in a National Championship ride? Frankly - at the risk of offending a few (but offending those who SHOULD be offended is a good thing) - there are people who demonstrate their continued unsuitability for even the regular sanctioned rides through their lack of education about the equine athlete, absence of good sense and common courtesy on the trails, and ultimately the demise of some equines at the end of the day. I can't put it any more kindly - the system HAS to weed out the imminently unqualified - and demonstrating the ability to complete a given level of competition miles safely and with a SOUND PARTNER should be a minimum. I am under no illusions - after 30 something years of experience in every equine sport imaginable, as well as having shanked and assisted vets at many and varied procedures and functions; having stood a stallion and foaled out about 60 mares; raised and trained most of said foals, shown to the National level - and cared for the Leisure World equine crowd - I still consider myself not suitable for say 100 miler. COULD I do it? Probably. Do I have the experience to make it a good idea? Nope.

We have few rules and safeguards in endurance. We like it that way. But in the interest  of protecting both equines and other competitors from the growing population of the ignorant and insistent - in our sport and out - certain levels of participation simply MUST be more highly governed. Period.

Sandy (who would LOVE to see the Angels in the World Series....someday)