RE: Hoof Angles/Pastern Angles

>>EEK - this is where I get hung up. How can the
shoulder angle be expected to follow the pastern
angle? There are four joints between them, 2 of which
are hinge joints and so have a fixed extension point.
The 3rd is a complex weight-bearing joint that also
has a limit of extension. The way I see it, if the
cannon bone is perpendicular, the shoulder blade can
only have one angle. Only the fetlock joint has a
sling of tendons supporting it.<<

One of the effects of high heels is the imbalance
between the flexor/extensor tendon systems, due to the
slack put into the flexor tendon as a result of a
steep, no longer ground parallel coffin bone.  Since
the stay apparatus depends on a balance between the
two systems, it can no longer function properly since
the tension is altered in ont of the systems.  The
horse has two choices for compensating for the
unnatural slack in the flexor tendon.  One is to let
the fetlock sink backward which takes the slack out of
the deep flexor tendon.

The horse probably won't use this alternative if there
is heel pain present.  Instead, the horse will remove
the weight from the heel by tightening the shoulder
muscles (without changing the shoulder angle at
first).  When this bedomes too difficult or painful,
it can steepen the shoulder blade angle with teh
shoulder/neck, upper arm or shoulder/chest
musculature.  This pulls up the flexor system through
the fascia.  This will cause the angle of the pastern
to match the angle of the shoulder.  This is usually
the case in club hooves.  Over time, this will result
in damage to the musclature as well as the joints
between p1,2,3.

If you look at a horse with a club hoof, really
closely, you'll see the imbalances in musculature
between the two sides of the body.  You'll be able to
see the bunchiness of the muscles around the lower arm
as well as overloaded shoulders (as compared to the
opposite side).  I certainly noticed this in my own
horse.  He is close to symmetrical, now.

Karen