Re: [RC] Re: RC: Ramp vs Step

Rae,
In a lot of ramped trailers, at least the ones I've seen (like mine, for
instance), the ramp makes up the bottom part of the door.  My ramp is about
2/3 of it with top doors above it that can be opened separately.  So yes, it
would be possible to get kicked.  As I said in a previous post, the ones with
doors and ramps seem pointless to me, unless they are quite high.  A friend
of mine has a slant load like that; some of his horses are a little reluctant
to jump in as it's quite a step.  So then I could see it, or if the owner
simply happened to prefer ramps.
My horse was trained on a step-up, and  I get the feeling he'd rather step
out than back down.  He does both fine, but seems to prefer the step down.
The firring strips someone mentioned are a good idea for a ramp, too; my
gelding periodically slides backing off, even with the rubber on the ramp,
since he always manages to leave a pile in the trailer even if we're only
going 2 miles...
Mickie