Re: part II hoof angles reply to Karen

Sorry, but somebody took a big stick and mixed up all the headers and
text for my email, so this is out of sequence a bit ...

>>>Again, as I described above, I would say that Roy
>>>
> had a "boxy" foot, rather than a "clubby" foot.  If
> the latter, lowering his heels would have created
> greater P3 rotation, rather than reducing it.  Re
> ardless, this was definitely the solution for this
> horse.<<
>
> As mentioned earlier, my farrier and vet diagnosed
> this horse, through x-rays, as club footed.   His
> coffin bone is now ground parallel as evidenced from
> the latest set of x-rays.  And, his hoof is the same
> angle and heel height as the other hoof.  It took 8
> months to accomplish (maybe closer to a year if you
> include the time we gave him off before we started
> actively making the changes).

Here's an example (not the only case like this I've seen):
I have a pony here who's been trimmed at a minimum bimonthly,
sometimes weekly, for going on 2 years, in an effort to lower
his heels and develop a broader hoof.  He had contracted feet
and dishing.  I did not and still have not had xrays done
(the cobbler's child!).

The pony is cushinoid and at least 3 competent vets and I
initially felt this was a founder case.  Gradual reduction of
of the heels (plus a huge amount of other features of the trim)
paid off in better frog, a rounder hoof, plumper heel bulbs ...
positive improvements.  The dishing was reduced as this was going on
but in the last 3-6 months began to return, as the pastern began to
creep up again.  I had reached the limit of the improvement I could
make in these front feet, and he was also developing significant
discomfort in his suspensories (on palpation).  Slapped on a set of
winter shoes with a 3 degree wedge and this pony is flyin' high.  He's
the soundest he's been in 2 years.

>>>don't know of any farrier anywhere who would say
>>>
> that P3 should not be ground parallel in a normal
> (i.e. not club footed) horse.<<
>
> Believe me, we run into way more who don't believe
> this to be correct.  Even Gene Ovnicek does not agree
> with the ground parallel coffin bone.

That's not my impression of what I've read by Gene Ovnicek.  Do you have
a quote?

> It's refreshing
> to run into professionals who agree with this concept.
>  I have NEVER has a farrier suggest I get x-rays on my
> horse.

Me neither.  I think they assume nobody would spring for it.  I know few
owners who would.

>  It is very refreshing to hear you suggest
> this, also.  I know that some farriers to
> request/require x-rays.  I just never have had the
> pleasure to work with one.  But, that's another topic
> :-)  Your exception to a club hoof surprises me.  The
> hoof can't be healthy unless it IS ground parallel.

Well that's the point.  The hoof isn't healthy, it's pathological.  But
I don't think you can fix the tendon pathology by manipulating the hoof
capsule.

> So, getting that club hoof corrected is paramount to
> insuring the hoof as well as the boney column and
> musculature is healthy.

I just think it depends on the cause/origin of the upright foot.  The
bony column and the musculature will not be healthy if the feet or
tendons hurt.

> You and I will have to disagree here, too

I'm happy to do that.  And I'll agree to consider your POV in my daily
meanderings if you'll do the same for me ...

> as I've
> already proven to myself and clients that it can be
> done.  Accomodating these pathologies leaves the horse
> vulnerable to worse maladies like Ringbone, navicular
> and career ending arthritis.  There is no reason to
> accomodate them when they can be corrected.

I agree there's no reason to accommodate them IF they can be corrected.
  I just think there's a time to give up trying, sometimes.

> I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would not be
> interested in learning more about how we affect these
> changes rather than arguing that they can't be done.

I'm following it ... but what I've heard is "lower the heels gradually".
  If there's more to the approach, please enrich my knowledge.

Thanks.
-Abby

--
* * *