Re: foot angles & conformation

Kristene -

Forget the shoulder angle.  Whatever the "ideal" should be, what you
have is what you have, and the pastern may or may not bear any relation
to that.  You cannot change a horse's leg angles by shoeing, his body is
where it is.  The only thing a shoer can do is to provide the largest
possible base of support for the bony column of the leg without getting
in the way of what the hoof wants to do.

That means setting the shoe back under the foot, allowing plenty of room
on the surface of the shoe for hoof expansion, and shoeing to the angle
of the pastern. (and that's only a fraction of the mystery)  Trying to
force a hoof into an angle it was not intended for can do all kinds of
damage throughout the leg and the rest of the horse's body.

To prevent forging/overreaching intereference, the front foot needs an
early but natural breakover and the hind foot needs support throughout
the foot, including the toe.  I used to thing squaring the hind toes was
de rigueur for forging, but I have since been convinced otherwise.  I
now focus my atttention on getting the front foot out of the way rather
than changing hind hoof flight/landing.

Don't think that you focus on shoeing the front feet and then just
"square the hind toes and forget about 'em".  The hind feet are the
traction portion of the horse's drive train, and breakover, flight, and
landing are equally important there, if not more so!

Gotta go ride.
Happy shoeing.
-Abby B

--