Re: RC: what the heck is ACID DETERGET FIBER and comments wanted on bagged feed

This is what I remember about fiber analysis..... Acid detergent Fiber is a
method of fiber analysis, There are three basic types of fiber analysis,
crude fiber which was developed in the 1800's and is not completely accurate
but is cheap  and easy method of analysis.  Then there is Neutral detergent
Fiber (NDF) which was developed in the '60's and used mostly in ruminant
feed analysis and Acid Detergent Fiber (ADF).  These two measures are very
helpful in measuring the digestibility of grains and forages.  The term
"fiber" is basically refers to the products obtained and isolated from the
constituents of the cell wall. ADF is an indicator of "digestibility" of
these constiuents and is measured through an extraction process.  In forages
they are extracted i nan acid detergent where most of the cell contents and
hemicellloulose are removed.  You are then left with aresidue and acid
detergent fiber which gives you a rough estimate of the lignin and
celloulose content of the cell. I hope this helps.
~Lindsey