past Champions

Sue Nance snance@yahoo.com
I agree with Barbara that one race may not be the best way to decide the
National Champion. I feel if that is the goal someone sets out for great,
for right now the lines are drawn on the court and that is how the
Champion is decided, one race, one day with the pre entry criteria set. I
don't think anyone was saying the folks out west were complaining, I may
have read some posts quickley and missed something. I was just remembering
times long ago and didn't see a problem with the sysytem then. If someone
rode alot miles and finished those and earned the points for the
championship, GREAT for them. If they were beat by someone that rode
faster and less miles and earned more points at the end of the season, so
be it. Everyone has their own strategy on obtaning their goal. Same goal,
different ways to get there. The Kentucky Derby winner doesn't make that
horse the Eclipse winner year end, its points earned during the year, for
a good showing at graded races. Maybe there is merit to setting up a
grading system for some of our rides and calculate points that way for a
national champion. The rides like OD, or Tevis, Biltmore, Big Horn could
be graded competition, open to all to ride in. If you want to be the NC,
then you would compete at those higher rated rides. As I said before, the
rules are the rules and if someone wants to be the NC, then they need to
go to that ride and do their best they can, and the best horse/rider team
that day will be champion. Pointing for a specific ride is a skill that is
different from going from ride to ride and seeing how things are going for
you during the season.
Sue Nance AERC #819 and probably not enough miles
(back from a LONG hiatus)