Re: RC: Re: Weight issue: AMEN!

Amen!  There are so many ways to look at fair & so many ways to be
successful in this particular sport.  For me this year success will be a
healthy happy horse who finishes 100% of the events he enters.  With
training, diet, improved riding form, tack changes, and the wonderful
advice I get here at RC I am looking forward to a steep learning curve &
all the wonderful people I will meet and renew friendships with.  Happy
trails!

Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM
Assistant Professor of Health and Sport Science
University of Dayton
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-1210
Voice:(937) 229-4207
FAX: (937) 229-4244
jonlinderman@udayton.edu
http://www.udayton.edu/~linderma

                    "Jerry Fruth"
                    <jerryfruth@us       To:     <Marinera@aol.com>, <ridecamp@endurance.net>
                    -etc.org>            cc:
                                         Subject:     RC:  Re: Weight issue
                    02/15/2002
                    10:59 AM

Julie,
I think you have hit the nail on the head.  You just cannot legislate
fairness.  I do know that a
very mountainous ride can become the friend to a heavyweight if he or she
tails or runs
with the horse.  By taking the load off going up steep grades, you are
saving the horse for
when you can run on the flats.  Of course the reverse is true on the flats.
A heavyweight can
get off and run, but there is little advantage, and if you do the spread
between yourself and
a lightweight rider increases.  In this case you need an outstanding horse
or just hold back and
ride your ride the best you can.
Then there is Lady Luck.  Things do happen out on the trail that can give a
rider the opportunity
to move up in the line at the ride.  Lost shoes, forgetting to electrolyte,
stepping in a hole, you name
it the trail buggers are out there.
Most heavyweight riders will tell you that they have no desire to race
against the lightweight riders
all of the time.  Every now and then at the right ride, under the right
conditions we can pick it up
and turn in a good showing.  We also know that to chase the lightweight
riders week after week
is a formula for disaster for the horse.  They just can't take the hard
racing and stay sound over the
long haul.  And in the end it's how we treat our horses and the miles that
we ride that really counts.
Jerry