Re: past Champions

At the time we changed to the one day, one race system we have now, many
riders felt we SHOULD choose the champion based on a one-day, head-to-head
race.  But I have observed that very few seem to remember who last year's
champions were, and don't even care.  It's sad, really.  Riders felt the
"trailer race" wasn't fair, and now they aren't happy with the present
system.  I can't imagine what other options are available to show who is
"the champion".

It seems that having a horse/rider team do well, ride after ride, is more
what we're looking for than a one-day win.  After all, this is supposed to
be what endurance is all about.  I know what prompted the change to our
present system, and that was having one rider who rode slowly in MANY rides
win National Champion, and that upset some.  They figured there should be
some speed involved and that finishing last in more rides wasn't the way to
do it.  But when one thinks about it, that IS endurance, because that
horse/rider team endured....over and over again.  It's just that some felt
it wasn't "fair" because one rider could afford, in both time and money, to
do so many rides.  Also, riders in regions other than the west, which is
generally blessed with about 9 months of competition weather, felt that the
western riders had an unfair advantage.  Well, as someone recently posted,
"life isn't fair; get over it."  Maybe that's what life is all about.  Life
is what you make of it; it doesn't come with any guarantees of happiness,
success, or fairness.

Barbara McCrary
West region director
Chair-Rules Committee