Weight importance - was RE: Weight Divisions for NC

It's the humidity.  Air is heavier in the east because the humidity is higher; hence, heavyweights weigh more in Kentucky than they would in New Mexico.  And the horses notice the difference.  haha.

cya,

Howard (come on, you think a featherweight and a heavyweight should compete in the same category?  Am I the only fat guy here who knows this to be rubbish?  Weight is so damn important, I'm actually cutting back on my beer intake to loose some lbs for the sake of my horse's back)

I was going to send this as a separate post but Howard gave me a good lead in...sort of a "what I've been doing this winter" post related to the above subject.

I did my first 50 last season and ended up doing 5 - 50s for the year.  I rode as a HW (and that was minus tack also! <g>) and decided after the season that Cabby would be much happier and I would feel a lot better after a ride if I would ditch a few pounds -- and improve my fitness and stamina.  I have several physical issues that crop up when I push myself too hard so I've been determined to make this next season easier on my body.  I want to hopefully cut out some of the major gi distress I get right after a 50 by decreasing my amount of bounce during the ride (my jiggled innards can protest in the worst way! ;-))  This means stronger legs and more two-point at a decent speed -- have to two-point a lot as it is with his bounciness.

I'll welcome any suggestions also on how to combat the IBS type aftereffects!!  Please!

I knew I had to ditch some pounds and be diligent about my trips to the gym to gain some of the old endurance abilities I had in my younger years (when I was a few (ahem) pounds lighter. ;-))  I was a distance swimmer in high school and involved in sports for my whole life where it was okay to not be terrifically fast.  I was not a sprinter (-- or the most graceful or talented!  I was okay but I had to work at it!)  I'm built like the proverbial sturdy Scandanavian who can go on forever...absolutely no sprinter genes whatsoever.

During the years of doing a lot of sports I managed to get a few injuries (and also have a few unrelated surgeries) after which I would have to start over with my conditioning.  I'm a pro at dragging my sorry butt back from various problems. <g>  This last time the injury was fairly severe to my left leg and I've spent two years working my stamina and strength back up.  I also have a bad shoulder (initial injury was over 5 years ago) that will probably get fixed after next ride season (finally) -- even told my orthopod that I wasn't going for the MRI until September. <g>  During this last rehabilitation, I realized [again] that it would be soooo much easier to gain stamina and endurance if I wasn't hauling around the equivalent of a large bag of grain or two!!  I definitely needed to start with losing some weight.

I've been at it now since the middle of October.  Not quite to my goal weight yet (40 down, 15 to go) but definitely closing in on it.  I'm going to the Y twice a week and riding 4-8 hours per week in the hills near where we live.  My work involves me being on my feet and moving all day which also helps.  I've noticed a tremendous improvement in my energy level and I'm not quite as apprehensive about my first 50 for the season next month...as a middleweight! ;-)

Still interested in anyone's ideas on how to handle the "shaken bowel syndrome"!

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.