Heavyweights

Kathy Mayeda kathy.mayeda@att.net
I don't think that the formula "twice the weight is twice the work" by the
horse.  If you put into the equation the amount of energy that the horse
itself must expend to propel HIMSELF, then it is a fractionally the amount
to carry one person vs. another person.

There are also so many other variables.  I know heavyweight riders that
have top tenned on shorter horses and received BC's rather readily.  I
have a tall horse that's a good hill horse, some horses are not as good
doing hills, but can carry a heavyweight, which my horse probably couldn't
do.  Some are good at hills AND can carry a Heavyweight...

What I like about this sport is that there are different forms of
competition that all could enjoy.  The current NC format does favor the
Heavyweight because you could be dead last in the ride and still win the
Heavyweight title by sheer attrition if you're the only one left in the
ride!  As a lightweight or a featherweight, there are just too many of us
at the ride, so the percentages of winning the weight division is just not
to great.  Another reason why the NC is not as appealing to me, but I
don't mind if the Heavyweights have their day in the sun!  Meanwhile I
could dream my other dreams and if the NC comes to the West Coast I will
participate just for the excitement of being there.

K.