running martingale

Working all winter long w/my 1/2 arab 1/2 saddlebred to get his head down &
engage his hind end.  Workign really well with long lining and side reins.
His back has strengthened and he looks really good compared to the end of
last year when we had to pull out w/a sore weak back 1/2 way thru a hilly
25 miler.  Okay great, but someone needs to tell the horse not to forget
this wonderful low head set/engaged hind end when hes riding w/company.  We
are a sight: the "loch ness saddleseat horse" rocking down the trail, head
up flying at a trot destined for a sore back.  Alone or w/one horse (behind
him) he is wonderful and can even wear a hack on a loose rein.  Put someone
in front.....DISASTER.

Was thinking of trying to work him in a snaffle and running martingale to
try to keep that lower head set when he gets the saddlebred up and running
in him in a crowd.  Otherwise perhaps I could compete the day before
everyone & just mail in my time (he he he!)?

Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM
Assistant Professor of Health and Sport Science
University of Dayton
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-1210
Voice:(937) 229-4207