Prep for ROC

I would like to solicit advice from anyone out there willing to give
it......post to me personally or to ridecamp.. which ever you prefer.  I am
from South Alabama.  I am not a brand name rider... have not got so many
AERC miles on my mule yet and have never done a 100 miler.  Am fantasizing
about riding the ROC.   I am prepared for the criticism I am sure to receive
so fire away if you feel the need.  But here is my position.  I do this
sport because I love it.  I have fun doing it.  I love to ride.  I love a
challenge. I love a new trail!  Rudy loves the trails and the excitement.  I
really enjoy big events with with all the hoopla and famous riders!  I like
to watch the profesionals in the sport.  It fun to ride along side some of
them occasionally.  I am not out there to win big or make a name for
myself..... I just love endurance riding!  I feel like a kid anticipating
Christmas just at the thought of being able to compete in a race like the
ROC!   I may end up being the turtle but there is a chance I could finish
ahead of somebody... maybe.

So... here is my question.  What do you recommend for conditioning and
acclimating my mule for such a ride as this. Who out there kinda knows the
area, the elevation, the terrain.  How much ahead of ride day should I try
to get my mule out there?
Thanks y'all!
Cindy and Rudy