Re: Qualification for Nationals

Ridecamp readers, what do you think of this rule
change? Write your regional representative. They will
be talking about this issue at the March Convention in
Reno.  Tami Lange

> > Dear Dr. Fleming:  Cc:Board of Directors
> >
> > I read the November issue where you mentioned
> there may be some rule requirements for
qualifications to Nationals.  I emailed Connie Caudill
and found the following reply:

> > Horse and rider team must have a total lifetime
> > mileage of 5oo miles. Included in this mileage-
> you must top 5 in your wt div at two rides between
Aug 2001 and Aug 2002. For the 100 you must have top 5
in one 100 miler within the same time frame, and the
> > horse must have also rode with you in another 100
> > miler to have a total of 2 - one day 100 milers
> > included in the lifetime 500 miles.
> >
> > I want to appeal this rule change and explain my
> > reasons why.  First I believe it is over and
> > above what is necessary for a successful National
event. I see the Pan Am games, World Championships for
the most elite Endurance Rider, but our Nationals is
for the American Rider...which means it is a melting
pot, all very good riders, but you don't have to be
wealthy, with long credentials to play the game.  This
is an event to springboard top placers to be inspired
to go on to higher levels, but for everyone who makes
it there to be proud to have made it that far.

Please review the following information.  Of the
top 20 placers on the 50 at Nationals, only half would
have been at the race under the new rule change
(Instead of 124 riders you would have had 62!).
> The first category is RIDER LIFETIME MILES ON ANY
> HORSE (six riders had UNDER 500 LIFETIME miles), the
> second category is HORSE/RIDER COMBINATION.
> > Placings- Rider Lifetime Miles-Horse/Rider-Combo
> > #1 	500+			750
> > #2	380			275
> > #3	375			300
> > #4	500+			500+
> > #5	500+			475
> > #6	500+			405
> > #7	500+			425
> > #8	500+			500+
> > #9	500			500
> > #10	500+			500+
> > #11	375			285
> > #12	500+			500+
> > #13	500+			500+
> > #14	500+			500+
> > #15	500+			500+
> > #16	300			300
> > #17	335			255
> > #18	500+			325
> > #19	500+			500+
> > #20	300			300
> > I rode in Nationals last year and received 11th
> > place.
> >  I went to two extra rides so that I would have
> the
> > 200 horse/rider miles by Aug 15th.  Three other
> > friends attempted to come with me, but two of our
> > local races were canceled and they just missed the
> > mile requirements.  I have been a limited distance
> > rider since a stranger (now good friend Gerry
> > Cummings) lent me his horse in 1997.  I bought my
> > first endurance horse February 1998 (she is the
> one I rode in Nationals).  When I saw Nationals was
only 6 hours from my farm, I started riding 50's.  It
> > inspired me to try something new, and helped our
> > local races get another four riders riding the
50's.

> > This year there are six from our area that have
> > planned our rides/miles around getting enough
> miles to go to Nationals.  None of us will be able
to go with the 500 horse/rider combination.

> > Please reconsider this rule change.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Tami Lange
> > ***I am adding additional information here but do
> > not wish it to be published as this letter is
getting too long.

> > Dr. Flemming,  I had the great opportunity to meet
> > you and many other leaders of AERC at the National
> Ride. That experience will be etched in my mind
forever.

> > I do not have the time/money to go to the
> convention,but I have read every issue of Endurance
News,cover to cover, since I became a member in 1998.
So it was really great to meet the people I read about
monthly.

> > My horse has 720 endurance miles, but only 260
> with me on board.  I have trailered Savannah for all
but 100 miles of it.  I enjoy this sport so much and
have bought into the fact that we need to promote the
sport.  So now there are 8 new endurance riders
out there because I lent my horses out, like Gerry
lent me his.  I have three Arabs now, and two of my
> friends
> > have bought their own after riding mine at a ride.
>

> > My girlfriend that crewed at Nationals bought an
> > already conditioned horse so that she could get
> the miles and be ready for Nationals.  I have been
> > thinking of spending more money than I ever had on
> a big, conditioned, purebred Arabian so that I can
> > ride 100 mile races in the near future.  All of
this because I went to Nationals and did well on my
> half foxtrotter/arab.  That's what I think Nationals
> > should be all about, promoting our sport and
making
> > everyone feel like they are a winner. By doing
that AERC will also be the winner!