<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: AW: [RC] Help for "Un-ridable" Horse
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:42:00 GMT 2003
  • - Lysane Cree
  • - Ridecamp Guest

    AW: [RC] Help for "Un-ridable" Horse - Hilga Boskamp

    Hi Tamara,
    like everybody else I think this horse has to be "reschooled". On the other
    hand I have seen many horses being schooled or reschooled by "Trainers" and
    being somewhat worse afterwards. So you have to look closely if you think
    about that.
    I also agree with Heidi about the price and the reason of the horse being on
    the auction.
    Many years ago I did something similar, having absolutely no idea of what I
    had bought for such a nich price.
    Then the problems came. I needed professional help, but could not really
    afford it. So I turned her over to a (luckily)good trainer for a short time,
    and when I got her back nothing had really changed. He told me so
    beforehand, cause for real reschooling it takes time. From the time she was
    there he got a really good idea about her problems and the reasons. So even
    if her time there seemed to be wasted, the advice I got from him after that
    put me in the position to do the mayor reschooling myself.
    On the other hand the expirience of "hard times"  (with my mare abolutely
    not understanding what I want and getting ever more nervous, me finally
    getting off in tears of frustration) put us much closer together with time
    (and as the problems where solved little by little). Now (several years
    later) she is an absolute darling and very good endurance horse, and closer
    to my heart than any other horse.
    So what I´m trying to say: Teach him to be a good horse, its worth it.

    What I personaly would start with: For the hard mouth try a bitless bridle
    or hackamore. Some horses respond wonderfull to a tug on the nose even if
    the mouth is ruined. With time you may be able to re-introduce the bit
    again, but not to soon.
    For the "dead sides" he should relearn the legaids again just as with a
    green horse. Take him on the lounge or even on the lead and teach him the
    propper words for moving, going faster, stopping, backing up. Then, just as
    with a green horse, get on with somebody lounging him, using the same words
    and start with very soft legaids again. Never go bumping in his sides, as
    that will only remind him of "the other trainer". Try to be super soft with
    hands and legs,(using the word-commands as well every time) as to establish
    a whole new set of aids that has nothing to do with his previous training.
    Try to imagine that he should "listen hard" to get your meaning ant thereby
    concentrate on you rather than spooky things or other horses.
    This may look like taking several steps back as he seems to be a "ridable
    horse" already. But redoing things from the beginning will save you much
    hassle later and it may not take too much time if done carefully.
    Think of him as a green horse and just start over.

    I would really like to know what you will decide, and how he does.

    Hilga