<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Rhodesian Ridgebacks
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:41:30 GMT 2003
  • - Jeannie Gillen
  • - GoldenCMK

    Re: [RC] Rhodesian Ridgebacks - Jeannie Gillen

    I have been looking for a RR for about 1 year.....I live at the southernmost portion of the Sierra Nevada Mtns.....my endurance friends that have RR say the breed is a perfect trail partner......I tried the website address you posted and my provider couldn't bring it up?  Could you doublecheck the address for me........Thanks for your post, wish me luck......I really want one.....and can provide a great home............
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Sunday, December 08, 2002 2:18 PM
    Subject: [RC] Rhodesian Ridgebacks

    I took my first *real* 1/2 day off in almost 2 months today, and <gasp> rode Gavilan! Yes, it's true, I really rode and had a nice 2 hour trek through the mountains... after hearing about others adventures daily, it was a real treat.

    The other treat was the companionship of Riley, my rescued Rhodesian Ridgeback. I adopted Riley, a handsome, muscular 5 year old male, the same day I had to put my good dog, Sammy down, on September 24th. Riley came swathed in caveats and disclaimers, was offered for rescue with many warnings, more than in usual for a rescued dog, and we've worked through most of his aloofness and fear based aggression to uncover  a delightfully affectionate and warm puppy, and I suspect that it was a side he hadn't had a chance to express as a young show dog... all in all, he's 95% perfect - the 5% will always be worrisome... Sammy spoiled me, and given the chance, Riley will keep me spoiled.

    I love this hound.. I chose Ridgebacks after talking to Lari Shea, who bred them and raved about them. I ride in the Mendocino mountains,  have back-door access to many miles on private trails and roads.  Not only is this land remote and beautiful, it's the home to mountain lions & bears, so I won't ride too far without the company of a Riley or another rider.  Riley stays near by, doesn't chase the deer or game, can easily keep up with out gallops and canters, and his presence is very reassuring to Gavilan.

    I talked to my rescue contact last week; she says there 7 ridgebacks available for adoption in Northern California... Lari Shea has raved about these hounds for years, and if you're interested in giving yourself a wonderful Christmas Present... check out the web site.  http://www.ridgeback.org/html/dogs_available.html

    Cheers - Linda

    Linda Cowles
    Horse 'N Hound
    New, Consigned & Used Tack