DVMs and dentists

In my original post I may not have made myself clear. The vets in
the area refuse to come out to sedate the horses for the dentists. The
dentists cannot sedate the horses. So I either have to sedate the horse
myself (I have no idea if granular acepromazine will work) or have the
vet come out do the horse and be satisfied with that.
     The Alberta Veterinary Medical Association is battling in court to
prevent dentists from working at all. A decision is expected at the end
of this month. I gleaned this info from a local equine dentist,
unfortunately I can't say 100% what the rationale is.
    Has anyone out there had to sedate your own horse for dental work?

Nancy