DVMs vs. dentists

At 12:19 PM 2/2/02 -0500, CMNewell wrote:
>Does it really need to be phrased that way?
>Many of us think DVMs *and* dentists sounds better. Lots of DVMs have made
>the requisite effort to gain further education in the area after
>graduation. I know several  who limit their practice almost entirely to
>dentistry. I also know laymen who are pisspoor dentists as well as those
>who are excellent.
>I've participated in several seminars myself, though  my rotator cuff
>problems make me reluctant to invest in a lot of dental equipment.
>I coordinate visits with several local laymen who do dentistry in order to
>tranquilize animals for them. In my case, I usually set it up so I can
>hang out and catch up on local gossip with the dentist and the client,
>but  those of you who have DVMs with a more businesslike approach to
>things need to be willing to pay what the DVMs time is worth if you want
>his or her services in that regard--remember, once the DVM has
>administered the drugs, it is that person's license and liability on the
>line.  They deserve to be compensated for it.
>                                     --CMNewell, DVM

Unquestionably.

DVMs and every other practitioner deserve to be compensated for their
contributions to whatever extent the market will bear without someone
judging the validity of their compensation.

I commend you for your open mindedness and if any "disparaging" remarks
I have made about vets implied I was addressing you or anyone like you, or
demeaning the profession, I expressed those sentiments very poorly.

In my work with horses I continually come across things that have owners
indignant at their vets.  "THAT IS SO OBVIOUS!  HOW COULD MY VET
MISS THAT???"  To which i reply, "You're the owner, you see the horse
every day, how did *you* miss it?"

Vets, yes, even clinicians, tend to diagnose what they see everyday.  Few
horse owners take horses to the vet because the horse has suddenly started
spooking, bucking or biting.  As a general rule, if it isn't ooozing,
bleeding,
swollen, bruised or hot enough to cook an egg, folks don't take their horses
to the vet.  It is a matter of experience and training.  Not knocking the
vet, it's
just the way things are.

I have met a LOT of vets in my time and I hear about a lot more from other
folks.  Fully half of the vets I've come across are closed minded; if they
weren't taught it at vet school there is no validation to it.

Our vet has been our vet for at least 20 years.  We trust him explicitly
because
he has proven himself time and time again.  I know several others who are
every bit as skilled as he is, but over all, a significant number of vets
are not.
But that is the case in practically every practice whether it be vets or
commercial upholsterers.

I do not expect my vet to become a chiropractor or invest in a lot time and
expense to become skilled to meet any possible need my animals may
develop. I do expect him/her to not dismiss the need because he feels
differently
about it.

Marv "I too am a vet.  I just dispensed with all that pesky schooling." Walker