Re: Prepurchase exams

Then there's the little unbroke gelding I got a few
years ago.  He was sound when we saw him.  My husband
& I are both pretty good judges of horseflesh so we
did our own exam as we always do.  (4H horse judging
team experience - and mom said I'd never use that
drivel...)

We did a mini vet check with a CRI, lounged him, did a
flexion exam, listened with our stethoscope.  He
passed our exam.  We bought him for under $1000.

He has proven sound and done wonderfully!  I was
buying a gelding - what I saw was what I got.  I
certainly didn't worry over bloodlines since he'll
never reproduce.

I really believe in trusting my own eyes.  If I see
something questionable, then I'd have asked a vet to
do a very specific exam (xrays, lab work, scope, etc.)
 When we went shopping for my husband's last gelding,
we turned down a number of likely prospects who just
didn't pass muster.  I can't imagine the $$ we saved
in vetting horses we didn't buy.

BTW, Mike's new horse Buck is sound as a dollar &
holding up well to work.  Now if I could say the same
for my truck, we'd get Buck to his first ride this
spring!

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
West Virginia