Morgans in Endurance--Was Endurance Clinic

At this point in time, I don't think any conclusions can be reached
about which Morgan lines are more suited to endurance or
long distance CTR.  The sample is simply not large enough
to be significant.  That's sort-of my private mission:  to try
to find the genes still in the gene pool that lend themselves
to successful endurance performance.  The gene pool has
been carded-over and carded-over for the last 50 years
to produce long necks and show ring action; I want to
select for something else.  Of course, this is far too much
for any individual to accomplish, particularly one of limited
means and middle age, but I consider it a worthwhile pursuit
for the sake of the breed.

I don't think you can rely too much on an owner's assessment
of where their horse's good qualities come from.  I discovered
long ago that showing somebody a Morgan's pedigree was
like showing them a Rorsarch test:  their eyes find the horses
they like, even five generations back, and they attribute their
horse's good qualities to those individuals--and ignore everything
else on the papers.  (I'm as guilty of this as anyone :-)

Linda B. Merims
lbm@naisp.net
Massachusetts, USA