<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Making Dog Food! Breaking Necks! Being the leader! becoming the alpha horse! So, how do you get there?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:40:26 GMT 2003
  • - A. Perez
  • - Michael Maul

    Re: [RC] Making Dog Food! Breaking Necks! Being the leader! becoming the alpha horse! So, how do you get there? - Sullivan

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Charles

    My question is:  How did you establish this with your horse?  What has worked?  Do you use the 7 games of Pat Parelli?  Do you use a roundpen and run the horse around for a long time?  Do you use "passive leadership" as championed by Mark Rashid?  Do you try to do it by presenting a "good feel" to the horse like Bill Dorrance and Leslie Desmond write about?  Or do you use some combination or change as needed depending on the horse?

    **Charles, since I guess I have become immune to flames, and always have an opinion, I will jump right in.

    What I think works the best are the following.  Work with the horse frequently and consistently.  So, it does not matter then, so much what flavor of training  Make little goals (sounds like John L.), when you have the TIME to follow them through, and in all handling of the horse, do not allow any expresions of disrespect.  Do not let them crowd you, walk all over you, pin their ears at you when you carry in the hay, turn their butt, etc.  Keep in mind, that
    there is little you can do PHYSICALLY, that as anywhere as extreme as what another horse can do.  John L. once said in an article, (for perspective here), that if you hit a horse with a steel-tip baseball bat, as hard as you can, it is nowhere as hard as a shod horse can kick another!.  Okay, not that I am proposing THAT, but it\s a usefull visual for perspective.

    Horses learn by habit (repetition), and by making the right thing easy and comfortable, and the bad thing uncomfortable.  Some react well to verbal scolding (one of our Arabs), and one needs strong body language.

    I tend to have, as a model of what a  horse "should" be able to do....and what my goal is....as looking at what a good ranch-raised horse would be able to do.  That translated into.....tie wherever put, go down the trail without spooking, leave it's buddies, load calmly, cross water and rough terrain, etc.  Most horses are capable of this, or for you Eastern folks, look at what the Police horses can put up with. In fact, Shiela Varian told me at length that she sends out some of her 3 year olds (the ones destined for family use not show quality), out to do hard ranch work for several months.  Going out into the world and being used produces a steady, calm horse.

    Now, personally, I dislike the whole concept of playing "games" with horses.  My experiences have have shown me that a whole lot of people who have problems with their horses (unwilling to discipline them), turn to this Parelli stuff.  I stand by my opinions that many of his methods are dangerous, confusing, and from what I have seen, still produce horses with big holes in their trianing.  I was just pissed last year when Ride Magazine ran a series of his articles.....with PHOTOS, no less of: someone riding horse right up to back of open trailer with persons neck right at roof level....a small child with no helmet standing on back of pony with nothing on head, someone walking right behind horses butt with lead rope in her teeth....kneeling right in front of the horse to bridle.  I find this stuff show-offy, little practical purpose, extremely dangerous and a REALLY bad example to novice horse handlers!

    And, finally, some horses misbehave because they are penned up in unnaturally small areas, and have too much pent up energy, overfed, etc.  With a horse like this, it is hardly realistic to take them out and try to get them to focus....let them get rid of that energy first.  I am a HUGE fan of wet saddle blankets, long hills, and wearing them out some BEFORE trying to introduce anything new.  With the new horse, we need to keep on introducing things to sack her out.  One thing we do with young horses is throw things back and forth while riding side by side (jacket, crinkly bag, etc).  Now, does it make more sense to do this when the horse is fresh....or a bit tired?

    Common sense, is most of it.  Even John Lyons says to make the right things easy....set up the horse to succeed.
    Karen