<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Making Dog Food! Breaking Necks! Being the leader! becoming the alpha horse! So, how do you get there?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:40:26 GMT 2003
  • - superpat
  • - Stephanie Irving

    [RC] Making Dog Food! Breaking Necks! Being the leader! becoming the alpha horse! So, how do you get there? - Charles

    Being new to horses (only hung out with my first one back in late 98, and didn't get started till spring 99 when my wife (then girlfriend) went to some event for a week (Pan Am in Canada?, She's asleep so I can't ask her) and I got stuck grooming and feeding for a week) I have been doing a lot of reading to "catch up" in my knowledge deficiency.

    Everyone agrees that it's important your horse sees you as "boss" or "alpha" or "leader" or whatever (so long it's #1).  This seems to be across the board whether it's an old book, or a recent book.

    My question is:  How did you establish this with your horse?  What has worked?  Do you use the 7 games of Pat Parelli?  Do you use a roundpen and run the horse around for a long time?  Do you use "passive leadership" as championed by Mark Rashid?  Do you try to do it by presenting a "good feel" to the horse like Bill Dorrance and Leslie Desmond write about?  Or do you use some combination or change as needed depending on the horse?

    How did you become your horses "#1"?

    Charles