<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Exempts private property, military lands and all plant lifefrom ESA (fwd)
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:40:00 GMT 2003
  • - superpat
  • - Hickory Ridge Arabians

    [RC] Exempts private property, military lands and all plant lifefrom ESA (fwd) - Hickory Ridge Arabians

    For Your Consideration
    >From Jerry Fruth
    AERC Trails Committee Chairman

    Tuesday, November 12, 2002
    Hansen Files Landmark Bill to Restore Original
    Intent of ESA
    Exempts private property, military lands and all plant life from ESA
    Retiring House Resources Chairman James V. Hansen today filed a bill
    that  would exempt military lands, private property and all plant
    life from the Endangered Species Act.
    Hansen called the bill "a shot across the bow from a retiring
     chairman"  and  a blueprint for bold changes that reflect what
    Congress originally intended when it passed the law more than 30
    years ago. "I'm just greasing the wheels
    for change here, giving my colleagues something they can act on
     swiftly  in the next Congress," Hansen said.
    Growing problems with the ESA cost consumers and taxpayers more than
    a  billion a year in litigation, lost profits, lost jobs and rising
    operating  costs for both government and business, according to
    estimates from private  groups.
     In some instances, private property owners can't walk their own
     property.
    Some military bases can't use their own land for mission-critical
    training  at a time when America is on the verge of war.
     Chairman Hansen's statement:
     "After working with this law during my 22 years in Congress, I've
     concluded it's the most powerful law in the land. It can be used to
    thwart  everything  from the training of our fighter pilots to the
    farmer's simple desire to plant a crop in his field so he can feed
    his family.
     "Right now, in this country, the rights of an endangered fly or a
     species of  seaweed take precedence over national security, commerce
    and many  people's right to the enjoyment of property and the pursuit
    of happiness.
    "Our founding fathers would be appalled.  This government was founded
    on a  few key concepts, among them the need to provide a common
    defense and  the  protection of individual property rights. These
    days, ESA is tripping up even that.  This legislation moves the
    federal government in the direction of working cooperatively with
    private landowners.  Under current law, the only option to protect
    endangered species is legal confrontation.
     "Congress crafted this law nearly 40 years ago to protect large
     species like  the grizzly, wolf and bald eagle from extinction.
    Frankly, the ESA  hasn't  done a particularly good job of protecting
    anything but lawyers pocketbooks. Outlawing DDT did more for our
    wildlife than the ESA has  done.
    "Meanwhile roads have been stalled, homes lost, countless jobs
     forfeited and  thousands of acres locked up because of this ham-
    fisted law.
    Republicans and Democrats have long recognized that something needs
    to be done to fix the Endangered Species Act. I'm just making it easy
    for everybody next year by dropping a bill now with the three simple
    changes that could fix this law.
    "If we exempt private property, military lands and all plants from
     the ESA,we would, in short order, have a more prosperous and secure
    nation  and still  have a healthy and abundant wildlife. We would
    create thousands of jobs, jump-start our economy, free up our clogged
    court system and still protect our wildlife.
     I'd wager my federal pension you could make these changes and the
    populations of threatened and endangered species would remain the
     same.
     The  numbers didn't improve when we started stripping people of their
    rights. I doubt they'll go down any once we restore those rights."