<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] QUALITY OF LIFE VS. MONEY
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:39:26 GMT 2003
  • - Andrea Day
  • - Carolyn Burgess

    Re: [RC] QUALITY OF LIFE VS. MONEY - Barbara McCrary

    Being a rancher, my observation is: it depends on whether the hog farmer has the extra money to do whatever it takes to satisfy the animal rights activists.  Farmers are generally not getting rich on their business.  The middlemen make money, but the producer is the poorest of the bunch in the lineup from  producer to consumer, and he's the one who takes the biggest risks and has to deal with whatever weather is handed out.  There's a big difference between people who keep animals for pets and those who have to make a living producing them for market.  We are both, and our horses and dogs and cats are as pampered as we can help them to be, but the cattle have to rough it a little.  They tough it out in a rainstorm, they calve unassisted.  We DO supplement feed them when the grass is short.  Your statement "What if it costs the hog farmers money" would be dependent on whether the hog farmer has the extra money to spend.
    Animal rights activists speak from their hearts, but have absolutely no experience with raising livestock.  I'm not attempting to start a discussion on this subject, just shed a little light into the practical side of the issue.

    Barbara McCrary
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 5:38 AM
    Subject: [RC] QUALITY OF LIFE VS. MONEY

    <This year on the FL ballot there was a constitutional amendment. It had
    to do with how breeding hogs are kept. The petition process was funded
    by the animal rights activist and if enacted will cost the hog farmers
    of FL tons of money - may even put them out of business. When I read it
    I didn't think it had a snowballs chance in hell of passing. But the ads
    on TV were very powerful images that implied abuse. It passed.>

    Well, sorry about that!  I don't know anything about this amendment, but if it improves conditions for these poor hogs, SO WHAT IF IT COSTS THE HOG FARMERS MONEY!!!  I don't want to incur any flames here, but IMO, quality of life for these poor animals should count for more than $$$$$.....

    Susan Vuturo -- Mom to Sadie, Encore, Rocky, and assorted kitties.