<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Sidedness (was Canter vs Extended Trot)
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:39:29 GMT 2003
  • - Charles
  • - Heidi Smith

    Re: [RC] Sidedness (was Canter vs Extended Trot) - Laurie Durgin

    John Lyons and Richard Sharake  talk about sided ness, and something about how the foal was  turned in the womb. Horses have a flexible or ,(soft side as some english trainers say). They turn, better take up leads better on one side than other. I noticed this in my two arabs when "giving to the bit" and lateral movements . Rascal is more flexible to the left, and Honey is more flexible to the right. Makes me crazy. I have to remember when working with them that they are oppisite. When I need to make a quick turn, like when they spook, They turn and respond better on different sides.And trainers will tell you to work 2x as much on their stiff sides in training them to get them equallly better.    For what it is worth. Laurie and Rascal

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Deanna German
    Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 8:49 AM
    To: Knevermore@xxxxxxx; Ridecamp
    Subject: [RC] Sidedness (was Canter vs Extended Trot)

    How many of you out there either in-line skate or ice skate? How many of you
    who do either of the above have tried or can properly execute a cross-over
    turn?

    Deanna

    Debra wrote:
    Actually most horses are dominantly left footed or should I say hooved? This
    is why ridden horses race to the left on tracks. I don't know  if the
    buggy/shurry horses race to the left also..